Quite simply, the process is as followed:
- Sign up to WordPress Developer (the easy part)
- Make sure your plugin, for all intents and purposes, is working!
- Be sure to have not just a ReadMe file (required), but screenshots to assist users (see this example from a New York developer) and a succinct notes about the plugin and its purpose. The more questions you can pre-empt, the better not just for your support team but also for the users.
- WAIT for the review from the WordPress team - our experience is that it takes about 2 months. Yikes. Please be patient.
- Once approved, you’ll then have access to a Subversion Repository where you’ll store your plugin. This is the final part of the onboarding - well done if you've got this far without too many headaches.
- Ongoing, it's a great idea to encourage getting your Plugin reviewed - you can incentivize users to do this so they can leave reviews (rating 1-5 stars).
With 42,000+ Plugins currently live, your contribution to the Wordpress is warmly anticipated :)